Re: X too big; login double; fetchmail kaputt

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 11:19:48PM -0500, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> okkay, grepped (would that be the past participle?!), and i find an
> executable "man-db.config", which looks promising.
>
> however, upon executing ...
>
> orange:/var/lib/dpkg/info> man-db.config                               [63,127]
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LANGUAGE = (unset),
>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>         LANG = "en"

In what file do you have LC_TIME="en_US"?  It doesn't seem to
be propagating to your environment.

To see if this will fix something, try at a shell prompt:

export LC_ALL="en_US"
export LANGUAGE="en"

and run one of those commands that keeps failing.

If the command is fixed, then you have to find a way to
run the file that contains LC_ALL when you start a new
shell (probably run it from your $HOME/.bashrc, or put
the commands directly in your $HOME/.bashrc, or put
them in $HOME/.bash_profile, or something).

(Funny that you have "LANG" set, but man-db.config is looking
for "LANGUAGE".  But I'm no big expert on locales either.
That also means I'm only guessing at the values the
env variables must be set to (eg, "en_US", "en", etc.).)

--
bjb@achilles.net
Welcome to the GNU age!   http://www.gnu.org