Re: X too big; login double; fetchmail kaputt

also sprach nori heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> [2002.01.09.0239 +0100]:
> (again typing -- my mouse is working, no gpm restart necessary, i just
> can't cut and paste in tty!):

try pasting with just the right button.

> orange:~> dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xfree86
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LANGUAGE = (unset)
>         LC_ALL = (unset)
>         LANG = "en"
>    are supported and installed on your system.
> perl: warning: Falling back to the standard C locale ("C").
> /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: xserver-xfree86 is not fully installed.

wait. you might be running 3.3.6 still (probably).

dpkg -l "*xserver*" | grep "^ii"

please?

> > /etc/init.d/ssh restart
> >
> > dude!
>
> dude! chill.  i tried sourcing the file; at least i know to do
> *something*.  right; thanks.

no comment since no offense was intended, and you know this.

> > you messed with postfix. fetchmail works fine, but postfix doesn't
> > accept any mail anymore. oh dear... should i let you handle this, or
> > do i need to make use of my root powers?
>
> i'd prefer to handle it myself, but not totally blind.  i *know* you
> can fix it -- if i wanted you to do the whole thing, i'd just call you
> and try not to whine :)

excellent.

> ... but that said, i'm not sure how to proceed.  i guess reading
> manpages for a bit ...

there should be .dpkg-old files from changed configuration files for
postfix in /etc/postfix. diff them with the current ones and find the
changes. unless of course you played around in /etc/postfix by hand.

> > s/in_reply_to/attribution/
>
> much better, thanks!  why would it be automatically "in_reply_to" and
> not attribution?   the default they'd supplied wasn't working, either

it's your old config from potato's mutt. a lot has changed since.

> > > (null:) can't set locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct.
> >
> > dman posted a fix.
>
> i know.  and i appreciate it.  and i tried it.  and it didn't work.

i hate this topic, locales. i don't know how to fix this.

> > noticed? and not read?
>
> ::sigh:: noticed, read, and forgotten to copy into someplace safe,
> like i did a few other things that i noticed in that.  okay, next
> time i copy everything down into little i-know-i'll-forget-this files.
> but for now, yes -- noticed and not read.

uhm, do you remember which package notified you?

do you remember *some* of the wording?

a grep in /var/lib/dpkg/info should help you...

if god had meant for us to be naked,
we would have been born that way.