Re: X too big; login double; fetchmail kaputt

also sprach dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> [2002.01.11.0156 +0100]:
> | not really. maybe i am misremembering. but it's highly prefered over
> | editing XF86Config by hand. unless you want to read the manpages,
> | web, and spend some time to get it working. it *is* possible, they
> | say...
>
> I'll say it's possible :-).  It's the only way I got my display to
> work at the resolution I wanted.  Well, that was before I switched to
> framebuffer.  Then the config is trivial!

really? with framebuffer, i couldn't get tty[1-6] working anymore. they
were just blank.

but yes, *after* dexconf (for 4.x), i had to modify the ModeLines too.
but i wouldn't want to deal with writing the config from scratch by
hand...

> | then again, why would 4.x be reading the XF86Config file? it has
> | XF86Config-4 to worry.
>
> If there is no -4 file it looks for the "regular" name.  This is nice
> for those running only X4 since the name stays consistent with what
> they are familiar with, etc.  The purpose of the new name is to allow
> side-by-side installs of both v4 and v3 X servers.

makes sense. then this must be the problem. go for it, nori!

upgrade your nt to debian to replace your microsoft with a woody.