Re: X too big; login double; fetchmail kaputt

also sprach nori heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> [2002.01.11.0037 +0100]:
> that's what i'm trying.  just no luck so far.  i haven't had much time
> to spend on this yet, though, and have no idea how to proceed.  so
> when i get a second i'll go google it out and see what i can do from
> there.

fair enough. that's the spirit!

> > not really. maybe i am misremembering. but it's highly prefered over
> > editing XF86Config by hand. unless you want to read the manpages, web,
> > and spend some time to get it working. it *is* possible, they say...
>
> oh!  i get it, xf86config.  i know you always write in lowercase,
> martin, so it confused me when you told me to "have a look at
> xf86config," which i took to be XF86Config -- and tried to edit it by
> hand, at which point it was, as i said, small and seemingly useless.

:). sorry, i do have the habbit to actually include command names/lines
in backquotes. i simply forgot. sorry.

> :)  have since run xf86config, to no avail, as every time i attempt to
> startx afterwards, it picks a random section or subsection of the
> file, and says
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>         not a recognized section name

that's because you are trying to run the XFree 4.x server, but
xf86config is for XFree86 3.3.6 only. use `dexconf` for 4.x.

then again, why would 4.x be reading the XF86Config file? it has
XF86Config-4 to worry.

do this: `mv /var/log/xdm.log /tmp` and then `xdm` and look at
/var/log/xdm.log to figure out which version is actually started. then
configure using the appropriate command with your best effort. if it
still fails, `rm` the xdm.log one more time, do `xdm` one more time, and
then attach the xdm.log file to an email to me (*not* the list).

> orange:~> cat /etc/environment
> LANG=en
>
> so i added in the other two, to no avail.  :-P

are these still the perl errors you are seeing, or are they different.
do they persist if you do

while read i; do eval export $i; done < /etc/environment

and then run the command that causes the errors again?

only through hard work and perseverance can one truly suffer.