Re: X too big; login double; fetchmail kaputt

on Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:04:50AM +0100, marTin insinuated:
> mh. X is a bitch at times...
>
> maybe it's worth just removing all x packages and starting from
> scratch... or would you like me to give it a shot?

that's what i'm trying.  just no luck so far.  i haven't had much time
to spend on this yet, though, and have no idea how to proceed.  so
when i get a second i'll go google it out and see what i can do from
there.

> > > and then have a look at xf86config provided by xserver-common-v3
> >
> > small and seemingly useless.
>
> not really. maybe i am misremembering. but it's highly prefered over
> editing XF86Config by hand. unless you want to read the manpages, web,
> and spend some time to get it working. it *is* possible, they say...

oh!  i get it, xf86config.  i know you always write in lowercase,
martin, so it confused me when you told me to "have a look at
xf86config," which i took to be XF86Config -- and tried to edit it by
hand, at which point it was, as i said, small and seemingly useless.
:)  have since run xf86config, to no avail, as every time i attempt to
startx afterwards, it picks a random section or subsection of the
file, and says

Section "InputDevice"
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        not a recognized section name

> i get the same.
>
> fishbowl:~> cat /etc/environment
> LANG=en
> LC_ALL=en_US
> LANGUAGE=en
>
> compare?

mine only had

orange:~> cat /etc/environment
LANG=en

so i added in the other two, to no avail.  :-P

</nori>

-------------------------http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori/jnl/daily.html