Re: The hated xmltex/jadetex games in combination with new tex-common

Hi Florent!

> The algorithm I was thinking about was:
>
>   For every format F in fmtutil.cnf that depends[1] on a file that
>   belongs to the package whose postinst is being run, do:
>
>     Find the package p shipping F
>
>     If p isn't configured:
>       It will eventually be configured later, after all its
>       dependencies, so we don't have to worry about it.
>     else:
>       Since p is configured, !!!all its dependencies are also
>       configured!!!, therefore we can safely redump the format F.
>
> Not too complex, but unfortunately, the part between exclamation marks
> is a wrong assumption. :-|

And, how would one implement this? We would have to hack fmtutil to make
these checks, something we definitely don't want.

>   We don't [preserve]:
>
>      B <-Depends- C && installed(C) => installed(B)
>
>   as an invariant in general.
>
> This is something that bothers me and prevents me from devising a good
> solution to our format-updating problem.

Umpf, we should write an article about logical consequence relation in
Debian ;-)

> Well, so much for the brain dump.

Thanks for it, but I guess we leave the format playing stuff for the
next century, and I prepare another jadetex/xmltex package with the load
latex.ltx hack.

> > I haven't tried if this works and I am not sure if it would be better to
> > load latex.ini or latex.ltx in jadetex.ini. It would be a bit slower,
> > but I think we can ignore that issue.

Yup.

BOTLEY
The prominent stain on a man's trouser crotch seen on his return from
the lavatory. A botley proper is caused by an accident with the push
taps, and should not be confused with any stain caused by insufficient
waggling of the willy.