Re: Font packages for teTeX

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> writes:

> On Fre, 26 Aug 2005, Ralf Stubner wrote:
>> mk-tex-fontpack is makeing the X11 integration optional. TrueType
>> support would be nice, but I have to think about the TeX side of that
>
> I would forget about TT fonts. TT fonts are to difficult and error prone
> to set up for TeX, i would leave it for now.

Yes, at least /for now/. ;-)

>> first. Documentation (code and user), sanity checks and some clean up of
>> the code are also needed. What do you think? Anything you are missing?
>
> Calling
> 	fc-cache -s
> in the postinst script if the fonts have been installed for X.

Hmm, there seems to be no dh_installfontconfigfonts or such, which would
automate that. I guess the Debian way to register fonts with fontconfig
is to use defoma.

> Then there should be a check that we do *NOT* install foo.ali files,
> which are eg present in the distribution of font support files from
> Walter. THese files are for VTeX and are currently installed into
> /etc/texmf/map, and included into updmap.cfg, which breaks horrible.
> I think it is enough to change
> 	$tdsdir/fonts/map/*)
> 	$tdsdir/fonts/map/*.map)

Argh, thanks for spotting this.

> About the fonts.scale: YOu create a fonts.scale in
> /usr/share/fonts/type1/$fntpack, and move it to
> /etc/X11/fonts/Type1/$packname.scale. What about calling mkfontdir in
> /etc/X11/fonts/Type1/ in the postinst script? Does the mkfontdir
> include the files mentioned in $packname.scale? Or do we have to call
> mkfontsscale in /etc/X11/fonts/Type1/ prior to mkfontdir?
> (I am not an X expert!)

I am not an expert on X11 either. I am using dh_installxfonts (copied
from the lmodern package) for this, which should be compliant with
policy 11.8.5, according to which one must not provide fonts.dir, which
is produced by mkfontdir. The update-fonts-{scale,dir} in the final
postinst (and postrm) script should take care of that.

cheerio
ralf