Re: Font packages for teTeX

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> writes:

> On Mit, 24 Aug 2005, Ralf Stubner wrote:
>> I agree with Frank that this behaviour misses the point of symbolic
>> links completly. One could argue, though, that /usr/share/fonts/ is 'The
>> Right Place' for fonts, anyway. And changing the script like that
>> shouldn't be to difficult.
>
> I just retried it with
> 	OpenOffice 1.1.4
> 		as included in debian/sid (and sarge?)

Sarge has 1.1.3, but that probably doesn't matter much.

> 	OpenOffice 1.99.122
> 		installed from rpm via alien (should work on sarge/etch too)
[...]
> I.e., the pfb and afm files are *links* into *different* directories.
>
> Outcome:
>
> 	OpenOffice 1.1.4 does *NOT* find the fonts
> 	OpenOffice 1.99.122 does find the fonts
>
> So this is fixed in current devel version, but not in the original one.
> Stupid as it may be.

Well, that's at least something...

> YOu don't need a chroot. Get the install .tar.gz, unpack it, convert all
> the rpms to debs with *keeping* the installation scripts, then install
> all the debs PLUS the desktop-integration/blabla.deb. All goes to
> /opt/openoffice-something, independent from you other installation.

Ah, I understand. I thought about the debian packages in experimental,
for which sid is needed. However, the current version of mk-tex-fontpack
installs the actual font *and* metric files into /usr/share/fonts/type1
with links for TeX and X11. I think we should be pretty save with that
scheme.

BTW, at the moment the only feature I would like to add to
mk-tex-fontpack is makeing the X11 integration optional. TrueType
support would be nice, but I have to think about the TeX side of that
first. Documentation (code and user), sanity checks and some clean up of
the code are also needed. What do you think? Anything you are missing?

cheerio
ralf