Re: Font packages for teTeX

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> writes:

> On Die, 23 Aug 2005, Ralf Stubner wrote:
>> Sure, I wanted to wait till I get X11 integration done, but see the
>> attachment. Main changes are the texmf/doc -> doc/texmf change and using
>> cat instead of echo for longer files. Looks cleaner to me. ;-)
>
> Do we really need defoma? Isn't it a bit out of date/useless? Up to now
> I haven't seen any use for it. Maybe you know better.
>
> I normally install pfb and afm files into X normally, and get the fonts
> in X, in fontconfig (since I put them into a path searched by
> fontconfig) and in OPenOffice as OOo looks for pfb/afms. Works.

Good question. Looking at the dependencies of defoma, there aren't many
apps that actually use it. The only interesting thing probably is
ghostscript, and that is more intereseting for ttf than for type1
fonts.¹ So for most cases it is probably ok to forget about defoma and
only care about X11 and fontconfig.

BTW, I think I have found the reason for the problems with GaramondNo8
and LModern in OO.o and Scribus: The fonts where registered with
fontconfig in their directory in TEXMF. AFAIK fontconfig does not tell
apps where to find AFM files, so they can only look into the same
directory. Obviously, there is no AFM file there. I am now installing
the GaramondNo8 fonts in /usr/share/fonts/ (might be 'the right place',
anyway) and register them there with defoma and hence fontconfig. Now
everything seems to work. Guess I should file a whishlist bug for
lmodern about this.

cheerio
ralf

1 One way to use ttf with both dvips and pdftex without conversion is to
  not embed the font into the PS file, make the font known to gs, and
  convert to PDF using ps2pdf. Haven't really tried that, though.