Re: Font packages for teTeX

On Die, 23 Aug 2005, Uwe Steinmann wrote:
> I wrote a program which can quite easily create debian source packages
> from type1 or tt fonts. http://sourceforge.net/projects/tex-fontconfig/
> There is a debian package which should work on sarge and unstable.

Looks interesting, but there are some things missing:
- I don't want the program to generate any TeX fonts stuff itself, I
  want it to work on a collection which already contains all the *.pfb,
  *.tfm, *.vf, *.map *.whatever files.

  Installing fonts is in fact not automatable if you want decent
  kerning for non-english languages. See the work of Walter who has
  adapted a whole lot of fonts.

- Related to the first point: It tex-fontconfig does not care for
  TeX style files etc. But often they are provided together with
  font packs.

> It needs polishing but maybe it is of some value for you. I has enough
> documentation to get started. Just say 'man tex-fontconfig'.
> I wouldn't mind to update it for the latest debian tetex/texlive packages.

- And of course, it doesn't use update-updmap etc.

I will think about it, but in fact it is really a different program,
more about texifying fonts, not installing them, although the
installation is also present in the code.

sip:preining@at43.tuwien.ac.at                             +43 (0) 59966-690018
SCRABSTER (n.)
One of those dogs which has it off on your leg during tea.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff