Font packages for teTeX (was: Error upgrading tetex-extra (experimental))

Frank Küster wrote:
> Ralf Stubner <Ralf.Stubner@physik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
>
>> IMHO the problem is that TEXMFHOME is a per user variable. Hence,
>> kpsewhich et al. look into /root/texmf/ among other directories, but not
>> in *your* TEXMFHOME. I think you have to put *both* the updmap.cfg
>> sniplets and the map files into /etc/texmf/, such that both are found
>> when root runs update-updmap and updmap(-sys). You can leave the real
>> fonts and metrics in TEXMFHOME, if you want to.
>
> This will only work on a system with only one user - the others have no
> chance to actually access the map files referenced by the produced
                                ^^^ font?

> psfonts.map etc.
>
> On a system with only one user it will of course work, but still it
> means bypassing the test for map file existence that have been
> introduced into updmap with teTeX-3.0.
>
> The clean solution would be
>
> - either install all files into /usr/local/share/texmf, and all map
>   files and updmap snippets in /etc/texmf, and use update-updmap without
>   options and updmap-sys
>
> - or install everything below $HOME and use update-updmap with options
>   and updmap, as outlined in my other mail.

ACK. I just tried the latter option with the fonts installed in my
$HOME, and that works really well. I had used my own updmap.cfg before,
which was a PIA to keep current. Thanks.

Installing  and especially uninstalling font packages for TeX is still
difficult, though, since the relevant files are spread over many
directories in the TEXMF tree. I have therefore thought about building
.deb packages for some of the fonts I have installed. Some of them
(Utopia + Fourier, LuxiMono, Garamond No. 8) could even be distributed,
though they are not DFSG free. What would be a good starting place for
such packages? Maybe the lmodern package?

cheerio
ralf