Re: Error upgrading tetex-extra (experimental)

Ralf Stubner <Ralf.Stubner@physik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:

> Christoph Bier <christoph.bier@web.de> writes:
>
>> If it's only me again with these problems there's a
>> severe problem with my TeX installation ...

>> !!! ERROR! The map file `MinionPro.map' has not been found at all.
>>
>> chris@lotus:~$ kpsewhich MinionPro.map
>> /home/chris/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/MinionPro/MinionPro.map
>>
>> But Root doesn't find map files in $TEXMFHOME:
>>
>> root@lotus:~# kpsewhich MinionPro.map
>> root@lotus:~#
>
> IMHO the problem is that TEXMFHOME is a per user variable. Hence,
> kpsewhich et al. look into /root/texmf/ among other directories, but not
> in *your* TEXMFHOME. I think you have to put *both* the updmap.cfg
> sniplets and the map files into /etc/texmf/, such that both are found
> when root runs update-updmap and updmap(-sys). You can leave the real
> fonts and metrics in TEXMFHOME, if you want to.

This will only work on a system with only one user - the others have no
chance to actually access the map files referenced by the produced
psfonts.map etc.

On a system with only one user it will of course work, but still it
means bypassing the test for map file existence that have been
introduced into updmap with teTeX-3.0.

The clean solution would be

- either install all files into /usr/local/share/texmf, and all map
  files and updmap snippets in /etc/texmf, and use update-updmap without
  options and updmap-sys

- or install everything below $HOME and use update-updmap with options
  and updmap, as outlined in my other mail.