Re: BibTeX file from debian/upstream data (Was: New Debian Science metapackages)

[Blends list in CC because it concerns general Blends issues]

Hello Michael,

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 03:31:09PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> No, the way I "hacked" the citations for MPQC and CP2K in the obsolete
> (and possibly the current debian/upstream) system is exactly as the
> authors wish/requerst.  It *is* the canonical citation for those
> packages.  So if we are serious about "Please cite as:", we should
> provide a way for our users to use the upstream citation, even if that
> is not a publication.

I thought about this issue and came to the following conclusion:

  1. Your way to add "Please cite as" is a missuse of the publication
     field (as you probably agree because you wrote "hacked") and to
     clarify this I will rename the rendering on the tasks pages to

        "Publication(s)"

     (Please provide an even better wording if this remains missleading)

  2. To support your need I would suggest to add another (different!)
     section called

        "Site as"

     For the moment I will not provide a way to propagate this information
     from the tasks files to the web sentinel pages because I think this
     should also be assembled in debian/upstream files.  To enable this
     I added the field "Cite-As" to the debian/upstream definition[1].

     The definition says:

       "The value is a string which might contain a link in valid HTML syntax."

     I'm not entirely sure whether this is the best way to cope with this
     but IMHO it should be flexible enough for the moment and should do
     what you want to do.

  3. Once the implementation of the References is in a somehow stable
     state I will parse the debian/upstream files for the following
     values to propagate them onto the web sentinel pages:

       Cite-As      (see above)
       Donation     (we just have this in the tasks files)
       Registration (we just have this in the tasks files)
       Screenshots  (not sure about that, but seems to be reasonable)

    This should solve your problem and finally would enable cleaning
    up the tasks files also from Donation and Registration data.

What do you think?

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata