Re: BibTeX file from debian/upstream data (Was: New Debian Science metapackages)

Hi,

On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 12:07:12PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> [Blends list in CC because it concerns general Blends issues]
>
> On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 03:31:09PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> > No, the way I "hacked" the citations for MPQC and CP2K in the obsolete
> > (and possibly the current debian/upstream) system is exactly as the
> > authors wish/requerst.  It *is* the canonical citation for those
> > packages.  So if we are serious about "Please cite as:", we should
> > provide a way for our users to use the upstream citation, even if that
> > is not a publication.
>
> I thought about this issue and came to the following conclusion:
>
>   1. Your way to add "Please cite as" is a missuse of the publication
>      field (as you probably agree because you wrote "hacked") and to
>      clarify this I will rename the rendering on the tasks pages to
>
>         "Publication(s)"
>
>      (Please provide an even better wording if this remains missleading)

This sounds fine, I suggested "Further information" in another mail (the
fact that the further information is publications should be clear from
the content), but both are fine.

>   2. To support your need I would suggest to add another (different!)
>      section called
>
>         "Site as"
>
>      For the moment I will not provide a way to propagate this information
>      from the tasks files to the web sentinel pages because I think this
>      should also be assembled in debian/upstream files.  To enable this
>      I added the field "Cite-As" to the debian/upstream definition[1].
>
>      The definition says:
>
>        "The value is a string which might contain a link in valid HTML syntax."
>
>      I'm not entirely sure whether this is the best way to cope with this
>      but IMHO it should be flexible enough for the moment and should do
>      what you want to do.

I think if possible it would be best to use the content of Cite-as if
available. If it is empty, use the first entry of the Publication field
(like now), and use the other entries for the above "Publication(s):"
fields.

Not sure this is possibly in the current framework, though.

>   3. Once the implementation of the References is in a somehow stable
>      state I will parse the debian/upstream files for the following
>      values to propagate them onto the web sentinel pages:
>
>        Cite-As      (see above)
>        Donation     (we just have this in the tasks files)
>        Registration (we just have this in the tasks files)
>        Screenshots  (not sure about that, but seems to be reasonable)
>
>     This should solve your problem and finally would enable cleaning
>     up the tasks files also from Donation and Registration data.
>
> What do you think?

Sounds good.

Michael