Re: Current state of packaging Python software for Debian

* Zygmunt Krynicki <zygmunt.krynicki@canonical.com>, 2011-06-15, 01:03:
In a setup.py world:

$ python setup.py build_sphinx
This is all fine and pretty (thanks to python).

Only if you are happy that your extension modules are built in-place. :/

On the debian side I always have to copy-paste the same-looking code over and over again (symlink jquery,

If you use dh_link in your debian/rules (most likely you do), you need only a single line in debian/<packagename>.links to do that.

don't compress .js and .css,

In recent versions of debhelper, dh_compress doesn't touch these files anymore.

build-depend on sphinx

*sigh*

and recommend jquery on -doc package.

Why recommend? If you have a separate -doc package (hint: not every package have one), there's no good reason to leave jquery.js symlink dangling.

Always the same boring and useless text in -doc-base files.

Care to propose an algorithm for generating them?

Georg (the upstream Sphinx maintainer) makes a good point, which is that he really can't be expected to test Sphinx with any version of jquery than the one he ships. Operating systems (Debian/Ubuntu) are the integrators, and as Jakub points out in that issue, if Debian deviates from upstream by replacing Sphinx's version of jquery, it's incumbent on Debian to ensure it works properly.

As promised in <20110520200922.GA7355@jwilk.net>, this problem will be fixed for wheezy. Just give me some more time. :)

I agree, still, in the end there are only two possible choices:

1) We stop replacing the bundled jquery and recommend this as best practice.

Speaking with my Sphinx maintainer hat on, this is not going to happen.

--
Jakub Wilk