Re: Current state of packaging Python software for Debian

W dniu 15.06.2011 00:04, Barry Warsaw pisze:
On Jun 14, 2011, at 05:53 PM, Zygmunt Krynicki wrote:

Can please we have standardized hooks to build sphinx documentation and run
setup.py test tests?

I'd like to see the packaging folks address this.  Eric is subscribed to this
list and can probably speak to packaging's take on it, but my preferences
would be that

$ pysetup test

I have no practical knowledge of python3 (are we there yet?) so I cannot comment but...

  In Python<  3.3, using
setuptools/distribute/distutils2, this should be the standard interface:

$ python setup.py test

I would also like this to become the de-facto standard. Can we somehow make it happen? (debian policy, python something?)3.3).

Below I cut most of the discussion where we agree on sphinx documentation and python.

In a setup.py world:

$ python setup.py build_sphinx

[cut]

This is all fine and pretty (thanks to python). On the debian side I always have to copy-paste the same-looking code over and over again (symlink jquery, don't compress .js and .css, build-depend on sphinx and recommend jquery on -doc package. Always the same boring and useless text in -doc-base files. All begs for automation.

Georg (the upstream Sphinx maintainer) makes a good point, which is that he
really can't be expected to test Sphinx with any version of jquery than the
one he ships.  Operating systems (Debian/Ubuntu) are the integrators, and as
Jakub points out in that issue, if Debian deviates from upstream by replacing
Sphinx's version of jquery, it's incumbent on Debian to ensure it works
properly.

I agree, still, in the end there are only two possible choices:

1) We stop replacing the bundled jquery and recommend this as best practice.

2) We keep stripping jquery and replacing it with a symlink to libjs-jquery but we make the process less cumbersome and manual.

Best regards
ZK