Re: Current state of packaging Python software for Debian

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Zygmunt Krynicki wrote:
> That's different. IHMO you ask for make dist-check AFAIR (my
> automake-foo is getting old). Testing installed stuff is often
> harder and not supported as we don't want to include tests in the
> package (for build-deps vs install-deps). Source layout is also
> different from installed layout. Some data files required for
> testing are also not present in the production environment.

valid points BUT so far the test batteries usually included with the
python modules I package relied on reasonably small amount of data
files, so upstream usually doesn't mind have them installed alongside
with the tests installed alongside with the modules themselves.
Benefits:  any user can run tests later on (usually by "import m1;
m1.test()") to verify that everything on his system is still functioning
as promised (e.g. there were no upgrades of the 3rd party modules,
breaking the functionality of the module in question; or effects of
user-specific environment/settings/etc which could not be foreseeing
during package building)

> Testing that python setup.py sdist output can still run tests is
> valuable but falls under release management - not packaging.

oops -- I bluntly believed that we are taking care about both
aspects in Debian ;-)