Current state of packaging Python software for Debian (was: list of package for python_support -> dh_python2 ?)

Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org> writes:

> On Jun 10, 2011, at 10:02 AM, Paul Wise wrote:
>
> >Personally I've always wondered why a Debian-specific helper should
> >be needed instead of python upstream behaving the way we wanted.
>
> Can you get more specific about this? Obviously, there's little we can
> do about Python 2, and I did spend Real Work Time on getting better
> support specifically for Debian into Python 3.2. I'm willing to do
> more for Python 3.3 but I'd like to better understand exactly what
> folks here think needs to be done.

I think (as someone with no special authority on Python nor Debian) that
the people who know most detail about what's painful for packaging
Python software for Debian are burned out on the topic. They therefore
don't want to spend the effort to summarise the problems, nor to verify
whether they're still problems in current versions.

If that's not true I'd love for your question to be answered in detail
and documented publicly, of course.

But if it is true, and the people who know the answer aren't motivated
to work on answering your question, I think someone (perhaps you) will
need to go over a lot of already-trod ground to discover what's still
painful and why, in order to get those details documented.

--
 \            “The whole area of [treating source code as intellectual |
  `\    property] is almost assuring a customer that you are not going |