Re: Conflict escalation and discipline

On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 17:55:03 +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> On Wed, 2018-04-18 at 15:51 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Lars Wirzenius writes ("Re: Conflict escalation and discipline"):
> > > This implies to me that, at the least, "anti-harassment" is the wrong
> > > name for a team that deals with this.
> > That's certainly true.  I thought of these ideas:
> "Debian emotional support group", maybe.
> But maybe wait with the naming until there's a clear description of
> what the group is reponsible for.

Ack. I think that's the main point.

It seems that we're having this discussion every second year,
roughly, which seems to indicate that we need "something". And it
seems to me that what we're struggling with is to define what this
"something" really is.

I found Ian's brainstorming about possible names in the previous
email quite instructive because the names and his comments on them
show the spectrum of possible "somethings" quite well:

Are we looking for a court which rules on violations of rules; a
counseling body for contributors who want to get advice in unpleasant
situations; a mediating/conflict management instituation for helping
multiple parties who have a controversy; etc.? IOW: Are we looking for
"judges", "psychologists", "social workers", etc.?

Or: As Lars said (and I extend, if I may): What should the
responsibilities, tasks, and powers of such a team be?

Ian explained his ideas ("disputes/conflict", "promote healing",
"disciplinary mechanism/decisions") in his thread starter. Maybe we
can go back there and try to find a common view before thinking about
existing insitutions, names for the new one, etc.

Cheers,
gregor

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe