Re: Discussion of bug #311683, default kde install shows porn

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 07:38:24PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 10:21:09PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > > This surprised me, so I went looking. The "desktop" task seems
> > > to contain gnome, kde and no other desktops. That's very strange
> > > because I can't see why many users would want that as the basic
> > > task and it's not really a general desktop try-out system either.
> > > I'd hope to see kdedesktop, gnomedesktop and officeapps tasks,
> > > or pick just one desktop. Oh well.
>
> > Notice that such a thing was suggested, but actively opposed since over a year
> > now.
>
> > To go back on topic, i agree that this is a serious bug, and should preferably
> > be fixed before the sarge release, or we will get lot of bad press. Notice
> > that this being active in a screensaver, means that your children may also be
> > subject to random porn if you leave your computer running and use the
> > screensaver to lock your account.
>
> > I personally would feel strongly insulted if my children where to be subject
> > to such a thing, and i would be ashamed to propose debian/sarge to any folk i
> > know, so i vote for making this issue RC and fixing it, even if it means
> > delaying the sarge release by a day or so.
>
> This wouldn't delay sarge by a *day*, it would delay sarge by a *week*; the
> teams that need to be involved to pull off a release can't spare that kind
> of time outside of their weekends to do so, which means that further sarge
> delays would happen in one-week increments.  That's a bit silly for a bug
> that can trivially be worked around, documented in the errata, etc.

So, we will ship a sarge release which will show porn to our kids by default ?
I don't want *ANYTHING* to do with that, and if you go this way, i hereby
demand that my name is removed from any file containing it on this
pornographic sarge release.

Sorry, but i think this is a grave issue, which goes beyond a mere technical
bug or whatever. Maybe we should just drop KDE from the dekstop task or
something though :)

Friendly,

Sven Luther