Re: Discussion of bug #311683, default kde install shows porn

Stephen Gran wrote:
If it offends you, don't use it.  If it offends your site, have site
policy filter it. [...] Take a little responsibility for what you install on your computer already.

The thing is, I *perfectly* agree with these statements. The "bug" here is just about that the current setup may make it a little too easy for people who will be offended by WebCollage to still accidently install and use it. It is sensible to both 1) keep things available for people who want to use them 2) help people avoid running things they do not wish to run. Don't you agree with this general principle?

Because then the whole thing is just a grey-zone question about the balance between '1' and '2' in the specific case of WebCollage. And I suggest that putting it as basically the default screensaver on every kde-users desktop may be a little unbalanced towards '1'.

So you are suggesting that a network that doesn't care enough one way or
another about pornography to filter their web traffic will suddenly be
exposed to naked people via a screensaver?  What network do you work on
that a screensaver is your first exposure to naughty bits?

I work in an academic workplace. A somewhat offended user of debian testing alerted me that porn was being shown on his desktop and he had no idea why. This is the first report I have had to deal with of someone being offended by porn in this workplace.

You asked to get a collage of web images. Most of the web is porn sites. Therefor, you asked for porn. Feature, not bug, if you ask me.

You miss the point that no one really asked for this "collage of web images". It was a feature of the "default install" of debian testing. If the user or I had known about WebCollage, we would have turned it off. The point of the bug report is that this is likely to apply to most workplaces. That is 1) people do not know about Webcollage 2) if they knew, they would turn it off. A default that most people turn off, is that a good default?

Debian won't stop people from staring at the Sun until their eyes burn
out either.  Is that a grave, normal, or wishlist bug?

Debian do not install the Sun as the default desktop wallpaper. If it did, and burt the eyes of new users, that would be reported as a grave bug. I rest my case.

//Rickard