Re: Discussion of bug #311683, default kde install shows porn

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 10:21:09PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 06:35:35PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > >   I don't know what's in the 'default' install, but kde is part of the=20
> > > "desktop" task, which I'd expect a lot of users will use to install desktop=
> > > systems.

> > This surprised me, so I went looking. The "desktop" task seems
> > to contain gnome, kde and no other desktops. That's very strange
> > because I can't see why many users would want that as the basic
> > task and it's not really a general desktop try-out system either.
> > I'd hope to see kdedesktop, gnomedesktop and officeapps tasks,
> > or pick just one desktop. Oh well.

> Notice that such a thing was suggested, but actively opposed since over a year
> now.

> To go back on topic, i agree that this is a serious bug, and should preferably
> be fixed before the sarge release, or we will get lot of bad press. Notice
> that this being active in a screensaver, means that your children may also be
> subject to random porn if you leave your computer running and use the
> screensaver to lock your account.

> I personally would feel strongly insulted if my children where to be subject
> to such a thing, and i would be ashamed to propose debian/sarge to any folk i
> know, so i vote for making this issue RC and fixing it, even if it means
> delaying the sarge release by a day or so.

This wouldn't delay sarge by a *day*, it would delay sarge by a *week*; the
teams that need to be involved to pull off a release can't spare that kind
of time outside of their weekends to do so, which means that further sarge
delays would happen in one-week increments.  That's a bit silly for a bug
that can trivially be worked around, documented in the errata, etc.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer