Re: Discussion of bug #311683, default kde install shows porn

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 05:47:50PM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Sven Luther said:
> > This needs to be fixed for sarge, as it will subject random underage
> > people sitting in the same room your computer is in to random porn. I
> > believe this is illegal in most countries, and we can't be allowed to
> > let this happen.
>
> webcollage shipped in woody.  These random underage people you are
> worried about have been 'subjected' to porn for three years now.

Yeah, random underage people in this context being the children of the KDE
desktop using users. Would you like your child to be subject to porn while you
are away and the screensaver is working ? You may not even notice.

> The only thing I would worry about is if this shipped in debian-jr., or
> debian-crazy-fundamentalist or something.  Otherwise, it's up to the
> admin to decide site policy and decide if (s)he wants to filter, not
> install xscreensaver, or whatever.

No, since they don't have to use it to be subject to it.

> > I also believe that this may subject distributors of debian/sarge cd
> > to legal troubles.
>
> Let's not degenerate into FUD so quickly.  It contains no images in and
> of itself.  If webcollage will generate legal trouble for distributors,
> so would a graphical browser.  Quick, let's drop mozilla so no one can
> look at a porn site.  Good thinking.

There is a world of difference, since mozilla needs active action to show
porn, while this one is showed up to your face. A judge may well make no
difference in this case between being shipped together with it, or it being
automatically downloaded, and in any case the damage, with its possible wide
ranging psychological consequences, will already have been done.

Do we really want to be responsible for that ? I don't want to, and i suggest
all distributors boycott the sarge release if this is not fixed ASAP.

Friendly,

Sven Luther