Re: bounty for fixing ALSA's powermac driver

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 03:22:40PM +0100, Jesus Climent wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 02:21:33PM +0200, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> >
> > Wouldn't it be a good idea to place a bounty to encourage Ubuntu PPC
> > developers to get around fixing snd-powermac for all Mac PPC chips?

All Mac sound chips? Because sound here, on a Titanium IV, with 2.6.8,
stock debian powerpc kernel, works like a charm: I didn't even do a
complicated ALSA setup: Just added non-root to the cdrom, audio groups,
and that was it ...

Even on my old 2.4.25 kernel, same machine, ALSA was doing a fairly
nice job. The fact I had problems at the beginning when starting using
ALSA prolly was due to the person in front of the machine here ... :)

BTW: I'm writing this mail while listening to a CD, via Xine, on the
Powerbook ...

# lsmod | grep snd
snd_powermac           44304  2
snd_pcm_oss            68136  0
snd_mixer_oss          23264  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm               119800  3 snd_powermac,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc         13480  1 snd_pcm
snd_timer              29348  1 snd_pcm
snd                    67800  8 snd_powermac,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore              11812  1 snd

                [ ... ]

> On the other hand, I am sorry I have not put any money to BenH's
> pool,

Ditto ...

> but I am in the process of buying a house and I am rather
> broke.

No house buying here, but broke anyway .. :)

> Anyway, I would put a bounty, I would give it to BenH and
> then I would think about a second bounty for the sound problems.
>
> (In case is not obvious, I am trying to say that Ben deserves, among others
> (M.Daenzer, Guido come to mind right now), a bounty for all the work he has
> already done for, say, iBookG4 sleep)

                  [ ... ]

I'm rather sure I'd give my Titanium to eBay without the possibility
to run Linux on it ... Sorry, Steve Jobs ... :)

So thanks for all the Linux software, to all those making it available
for this machine here ...

Best Regards
Wolfgang
--