Re: Audio CD's on a Pismo (was Re: XFree4 on Pismo - kernel 2.4)

"Jason E. Stewart" wrote:

> "Nelson Abramson" <pogtal@erols.com> writes:
>
> > "Jason E. Stewart" wrote:
> >
> > > I use enlightenment, so I'm using Eterms, but yes I have two Eters,
> > > one I've su'ed to root, and the other I'm just plain old me. As me, I
> > > can use the volume control on xmms and it works, but playing MP3's
> > > sounds bad. As root, the volume control is useless, but playing the
> > > same MP3's sounds fine.
> >
> > Sounds like maybe you're using esd for unprivilleged and OSS for root. (OSS does
> > not have volume control while esd does) Perhaps esd is having issues?  Or try
> > using OSS as the output plugin for unprivilleged...
>
> Sorry, I'm lost. Am I able to change the output plugin for playing
> MP3's independant of the output plugin for CD audio? I thought only
> one output plugin was possible at any time.

You can have xmms use a different output plugin for each user...  Obviously you can
only use one audio output plugin at a time...  Try setting the output plugin to OSS
as non root and see if that clears it up... Although unless you apply Ian's DMAsound
patch you won't be able to play anything but mp3s via OSS (AFAICT)...

Maybe you have something else trying to use esd at the same time?  Are you running
gaim with sounds on?  What about your panel, does it have sounds turned on?  When
I was running xmms with OSS and my panel had sounds through esd the entire panel
would freeze until a song change so it could play its sounds....

> <snip>

> > What version of esd are you running?  And the version of AudioCD Reader?
>
> ~/mp3/krishna_das/one_track_heart $ dpkg -l xmms-cdread
> ii  xmms-cdread    0.11b-1        Input plugin for XMMS that reads audio data
>
> ~/mp3/krishna_das/one_track_heart $ dpkg -l esound
> ii  esound         0.2.22-3       Enlightened Sound Daemon - Support binaries

Same as me....

HTH
--Nelson Abramson

--