Re: Audio CD's on a Pismo (was Re: XFree4 on Pismo - kernel 2.4)

"Jason E. Stewart" wrote:

> "Peter Cordes" <peter@llama.nslug.ns.ca> writes:
>
> <snip>
>
> I use enlightenment, so I'm using Eterms, but yes I have two Eters,
> one I've su'ed to root, and the other I'm just plain old me. As me, I
> can use the volume control on xmms and it works, but playing MP3's
> sounds bad. As root, the volume control is useless, but playing the
> same MP3's sounds fine.

Sounds like maybe you're using esd for unprivilleged and OSS for root. (OSS does
not have volume control while esd does) Perhaps esd is having issues?  Or try
using OSS as the output plugin for unprivilleged...

> Trying to play audio CD's directly with xmms doesn't work as either
> root or me. Using the AudioCD Reader plugin with the OSS backend
> sounds like white noise. Using the eSound backend things play at half
> speed and pop.

What version of esd are you running?  And the version of AudioCD Reader?

HTH
--Nelson Abramson

--
Make your vote count!  http://www.votenader.org