Re: error trying to boot on a pismo

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 04:48:21PM +1100, Steven Hanley wrote:

> well I finally got a mac modem cable and hoked it up to a null modem plug
> and was able to get OF on my 7220, however with the computer still not
> booting into linux when booting from quik this wontr help much, I am havinbg

well it helps in that you can at least see the error, but then again
the error might not be any more helpful then:

QU

;-)

if you do get at least one kernel working in quik then your fine
though since you can just boot linux.old from quik's boot prompt
rather then muck with floppies or macos.

> to boot into an environment where I can put a new kernel on the machine and
> tell quik to use it, then reboot to see if it works, if it doesnt work,
> booting off floppies takes ages (debian install floppies are now two
> floppies to wait for loading of and all) I suppose I could set up a network
> boot environment so when a boot from quik fiales it loads a rescue system
> over the network or something maybe.

what problem are you having with quik?  what messages are you seeing
etc..

what kernel too?  one hint on the kernels don't turn on
CONFIG_BOOTX_TEXT as that has been known to break quik (that might be
fixed in 2.2.18 im not sure)  also 2.2.15 and 2.2.16 have been known
to fail to boot under quik on some machines (mostly select 7200s)

> on another note, I weridly cant find mutt 1.2.5 in the debian unstable or
> testing archives on my friendly local debian mirror, I have mutt 1.2.5-1 for
> x86 out of woody from about 2-3 months ago, but the only mutt I can find for
> powerpc in testing is 1.1.something. Oh well I dont plan to move my primary
> email reading platform any time soon I suppose, and I can always ssh into a
> server with a recent mutt and proepr setup for email.

yup, the current version of mutt on powerpc is 1.0.2, you can compile
a mutt 1.2.5 package from source if you want, it won't have kerberos
support though.  thats the problem mutt build-depends on hiemdel, and
then fails to compile on powerpc with heimdel.  it will compile fine
(without kerberos) if you compile the package without the hiemdal
packages installed though.  thats what i did.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/