Re: error trying to boot on a pismo

On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 05:55:51AM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> are you using original potato or potato r2 ?  since your getting a
> boot menu i assume you must mean r2 as r0 did not have any of that.

r0, just I had downloaded the latest yaboot and latest powerpc-utils so I
suppose the latest yaboot had the new menus and such in it.

> > my current yaboot.conf is
> >
> > boot=/dev/hda9
> > ofboot=hd:9
>
> delete this line (ofboot=hd:9), ybin can figure it out on its own, its
> better to let it do so.  less chance for user error then.

hmm, well I saw this and a few ohter things in the yaboot man page, so just
thought it was worth a try, I had tried without previously, among other
things

> typo?  should be /lib/

yeah typo

> >    partition=9
>               ^^^
>
> thats the problem, this should be 10 not 9.  9 is your bootstrap
> partition and does not contain kernels, your kernels are where they
> belong, on your root filesystem.

ahh that was it, thanks, it all works now :)

> > enablecdboot
> >
> > macos=hd:16
>
> just a hind you can also use the linux device naming here, /dev/hda16
> ybin will convert this on the fly.

ahh, I saw an example somewhere with macos=hd:9 and macosx=/dev/hda16 or
some such in the one file, however I thought maybe macosx did some stuff
macos didnt or some such.

> > I dont have macos installed currently, but thought I should give it a 2 GB
> > partition, and install it sometime, if jsut to play dvd's if nothing else.
>
> nah who needs macos ;-)

well yeah, I will probably decide in a few weeks I dont want macos on the
machine after all, and then want to do a fresh reinstall jsut to clean up
the horrid partition table. hmm can we play the dvds on linux powerbooks? I
dont really mind, except I decided to buy a dvd in celebration of my new
laptop having a dvd drive (so I now own one dvd)

> > My partition map (would be nice if I could clean it up somewhat, but hey) is
>
> you can remove all that driver shit if you don't plan to install macos ;-)

yes, I did remove all the crap on my 7220, however I had to go back to macos
somehow in the end on that machine as I needed bootx to get it to boot, this
was so I could actually boot into linux fast to change kernels and such
while I try to work out what was wrong with that machine booting from quik,
however I am still working on that as I have not had the spare time for a
few weeks to do much with the 7220, alas.

> wow, you should really do something useful with this 13GB ;-)

well, I may in the end, but for now I cant think of a use for it. hmm
portable debian mirror....

Anyway thanks, it all works now :)

	See You
	    Steve

ps. does anyone know if ethan benson ever actually sleeps? I have had
not matching the known sleeping patterns of any timezone as far as I can
tell. <g>

--
sjh@wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh/
Look Up In The Sky