Re: error trying to boot on a pismo

On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 06:44:25AM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 02:34:38AM +1100, Steven Hanley wrote:
> >
> > r0, just I had downloaded the latest yaboot and latest powerpc-utils so I
> > suppose the latest yaboot had the new menus and such in it.
>
> yes, if you upgraded those packages you get the new ones, as potato r2
> is merged with stable.
>
> i would reccommend running a full apt-get dist-upgrade pointed at
> stable though, there are many security fixes and a couple bug fixes in
> r2.

I plan to, as soon as I have it all installed off the cds, I dont have any
of the ppc packages in an apt cache anywhere nearby, so will get iot once
the powerbook has an installation on it

> i think its possible to play DVDs on GNU/Linux, you just need a tool
> to remove Cascading Style Sheets.  <g>

well I was also kind of wondering, does the pismo have any dedicated
hardware for dvd decoding or anything in it, though I noticed playing said
dvd in macos, if I did anything else at all, even changing the volume, it
made the dvd lag and jump and skip, so maybve it was all being done on the
cpu.

> you can also use miboot boot floppies, Dan performs some sort of black
> magic to fit a mac kernel on those.

well for a few days while doing some kernel code to see if I could get it
working I was using the debian boot floppies and such and going in off them
to try new kernels from quik, however it got to be a huge pain booting
through two seperate floppies every time just to set up a quik environment
again (ie had to do command option p r when it locks up on boot to get back
to debian floppy booting and such) so I got sick of the itme it was taken
for any hacking on the kernel, so went and got macos back on so I could boot
in fast to linux after command option p r

> i hear ya disks are so big anymore you just don't know what to do with
> the space, unless of course you use bloated software from redmond,
> then you use it all on the OS ;-)

well I am thinking at least a copy of the three debian cds I have and the
apt cache of any updates will do nicely to use some space.

	See You
	    Steve

--
sjh@wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh/