Re: error trying to boot on a pismo

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 02:34:38AM +1100, Steven Hanley wrote:

> r0, just I had downloaded the latest yaboot and latest powerpc-utils so I
> suppose the latest yaboot had the new menus and such in it.

yes, if you upgraded those packages you get the new ones, as potato r2
is merged with stable.

i would reccommend running a full apt-get dist-upgrade pointed at
stable though, there are many security fixes and a couple bug fixes in
r2.

> > delete this line (ofboot=hd:9), ybin can figure it out on its own, its
> > better to let it do so.  less chance for user error then.
>
> hmm, well I saw this and a few ohter things in the yaboot man page, so just
> thought it was worth a try, I had tried without previously, among other
> things

its only needed if ofpath for some reason doesn't work, which is rare
(i hope ;-))

> ahh that was it, thanks, it all works now :)

great!

> > > macos=hd:16
> >
> > just a hind you can also use the linux device naming here, /dev/hda16
> > ybin will convert this on the fly.
>
> ahh, I saw an example somewhere with macos=hd:9 and macosx=/dev/hda16 or
> some such in the one file, however I thought maybe macosx did some stuff
> macos didnt or some such.

yeah i mean to show that you can do it either way, those config
options are parsed by ybin and used to build the boot menu, /dev/hda16
is converted to the correct OF device path by ybin and that is
embedded in the generated boot menu script which is then installed on
the bootstrap partition.

> well yeah, I will probably decide in a few weeks I dont want macos on the
> machine after all, and then want to do a fresh reinstall jsut to clean up
> the horrid partition table. hmm can we play the dvds on linux powerbooks? I
> dont really mind, except I decided to buy a dvd in celebration of my new
> laptop having a dvd drive (so I now own one dvd)

i think its possible to play DVDs on GNU/Linux, you just need a tool
to remove Cascading Style Sheets.  <g>

> yes, I did remove all the crap on my 7220, however I had to go back to macos
> somehow in the end on that machine as I needed bootx to get it to boot, this
> was so I could actually boot into linux fast to change kernels and such
> while I try to work out what was wrong with that machine booting from quik,
> however I am still working on that as I have not had the spare time for a
> few weeks to do much with the 7220, alas.

you can also use miboot boot floppies, Dan performs some sort of black
magic to fit a mac kernel on those.

> > wow, you should really do something useful with this 13GB ;-)
>
> well, I may in the end, but for now I cant think of a use for it. hmm
> portable debian mirror....

i hear ya disks are so big anymore you just don't know what to do with
the space, unless of course you use bloated software from redmond,
then you use it all on the OS ;-)

> Anyway thanks, it all works now :)

no problem

--