Re: error trying to boot on a pismo

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 01:36:20AM +1100, Steven Hanley wrote:

> Image not found.... tryt again
> WARNING ! default_close called !
> boot: _

ok...

> I have no idea what could be causing this. I cant think wherelese to look,
> as most other web resources seem out of date compared to the yaboot faq, I
> am using the debian install stuff from original potato, though I downloaded
> and installed newer debs of yaboot and powerpc-utils from the debian mirror,
> latest potato stuff.

are you using original potato or potato r2 ?  since your getting a
boot menu i assume you must mean r2 as r0 did not have any of that.

> my current yaboot.conf is
>
> boot=/dev/hda9
> ofboot=hd:9

delete this line (ofboot=hd:9), ybin can figure it out on its own, its
better to let it do so.  less chance for user error then.

> device=hd:
> delay=10
> timeout=20
> install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
> magicboot=/usr/lic/yaboot/ofboot
                   ^
typo?  should be /lib/

> default=Linux
>
> # nonvram
>
> image=/boot/vmlinux-2.2.17
>    label=Linux
>    root=/dev/hda10
>    read-only
>    partition=9
              ^^^

thats the problem, this should be 10 not 9.  9 is your bootstrap
partition and does not contain kernels, your kernels are where they
belong, on your root filesystem.

> enablecdboot
>
> macos=hd:16

just a hind you can also use the linux device naming here, /dev/hda16
ybin will convert this on the fly.

> I dont have macos installed currently, but thought I should give it a 2 GB
> partition, and install it sometime, if jsut to play dvd's if nothing else.

nah who needs macos ;-)

> My partition map (would be nice if I could clean it up somewhat, but hey) is

you can remove all that driver shit if you don't plan to install macos ;-)

> /dev/hda1  Apple_partition_map Apple        63 @ 1        ( 31.5k) Partition map
> /dev/hda2        Appe_Driver43 Macintosh    54 @ 64       ( 27.0k) Driver 4.3
> /dev/hda3        Appe_Driver43 Macintosh    74 @ 118      ( 37.0k) Driver 4.3
> /dev/hda4     Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh    54 @ 192      ( 27.0k) Unknown
> /dev/hda5     Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh    74 @ 246      ( 27.0k) Unknown
> /dev/hda6       Apple_FWDriver Macintosh   200 @ 320      (100.0K) Unknown
> /dev/hda7   Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh   512 @ 520      (256.0k) Unknown
> /dev/hda8        Apple_Patches Macintosh   512 @ 1032     (256.0k) Unknown
> /dev/hda9      Apple_Bootstrap Macintosh  1600 @ 1544     (800.0k) Unknown
> /dev/hda10     Apple_UNIx_SVR2 root     204800 @ 3144     (100.0M) Linux native
> /dev/hda11     Apple_UNIx_SVR2 usr     2097152 @ 207944   (  1.0G) Linux native
> /dev/hda12     Apple_UNIx_SVR2 var     1048576 @ 2305096  (512.0M) Linux native
> /dev/hda13     Apple_UNIx_SVR2 home    2097152 @ 3353672  (  1.0G) Linux native
> /dev/hda14     Apple_UNIx_SVR2 swap     819200 @ 5450824  (400.0M) Linux native
> /dev/hda15          Apple_Free Extra  28605742 @ 6270024  ( 13.6G) Free Space

wow, you should really do something useful with this 13GB ;-)

> /dev/hda16           Apple_HFS untitled 2 414304 @ 3875766 (  2.0G) HFS
> /dev/hda17          Apple_Free Extra        10 @ 39070070 (  5.0k) Free Space

> there were originally no where near that many partitions, but after booting
> off the macos install cd and playing with the disk changing utility for a
> bit, it added all those or something. I eventually noticed I couldnt get an
> 800 KB partitioon in the macos thing, so I added two partins from macos, one
> big one and the two GB one at the end, and then before installing macos I
> rebooteed off the debian cd and started trying to get it installed.

yup the macos partitioner sucks bricks, this is how i suggest it be
done in my partitioning doc.

> So would anyone know what I should try to get debian to boot with the above
> error?

see above.

--
Ethan Benson