Re: error trying to boot on a pismo

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 03:19:20AM +1100, Steven Hanley wrote:

> well I was also kind of wondering, does the pismo have any dedicated
> hardware for dvd decoding or anything in it, though I noticed playing said
> dvd in macos, if I did anything else at all, even changing the volume, it
> made the dvd lag and jump and skip, so maybve it was all being done on the
> cpu.

i don't really know a whole lot about how DVDs work on computers, i
know my blue g3 has a dvd drive and a MPEG hardware decoder on the
rage128.  whether that has anything to do with the decryption crap i
have no idea.  ive been so discusted with all the crap going on with
dvds i just don't buy them.  though either way i am now of the opinion
that dvd movies are better done on a regular tv and not the computer.

> > you can also use miboot boot floppies, Dan performs some sort of black
> > magic to fit a mac kernel on those.
>
> well for a few days while doing some kernel code to see if I could get it
> working I was using the debian boot floppies and such and going in off them
> to try new kernels from quik, however it got to be a huge pain booting
> through two seperate floppies every time just to set up a quik environment
> again (ie had to do command option p r when it locks up on boot to get back
> to debian floppy booting and such) so I got sick of the itme it was taken
> for any hacking on the kernel, so went and got macos back on so I could boot
> in fast to linux after command option p r

a serial terminal can save you all that trouble or else setting the
input and output device variables properly if your machine has
anything resembling a OF video driver.  then you can boot into an OF
prompt and enter `boot AAPL,ROM' to boot the macos rom (and thus
miboot/macos) and just let it boot to get quik.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/