Re: iMac DV/iBook Firewire install follow-up

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 01:57:31PM +0200, Hadess wrote:
> > you shouldn't have to do this..
>
> Otherwise it booted MacOS, so yes, I had to do this...

something is broken in your setup then, that should not happen.
probably the ybin your using is too old and the ofboot script lacks
the necessary COMPATIBLE entries.  upgrading to the new yaboot package
will solve that at least.

please try the new package and reset OF to defaults and see if you
still have this problem.  unless you put your macos partition first
your bootstrap is failing to boot, and that must be fixed if its not
already.

> OK, wrong alias. But it is possible, according to these 2 pages:
> http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n58430
> http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#boot-support
>
> If somebody could try getting the alias or the complete name for it.
> Setting up a Zip, or a USB hard-drive as the Startup Disk in MacOS, getting in
> the Open Firmware, and displaying the "boot-device" (dunno, how to do that
> though...)

macos does not use OF aliases, the best way to find aliases is looking
at /proc/device-tree/aliases/ or with the devalias command in
OpenFirmware.  there are not that many and most are pretty obvious.
if there is no alias then you would need to use a full device path,
but those are long and ugly.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/