iMac DV/iBook Firewire install follow-up

Hi,

I've just done the (final) installation on my iBook Firewire. Ended up producing
the attached document. Here comes a few questions:

Note: I use an iMac DV (3rd generation) and an iBook Firewire SE.

1. yaboot doesn't show up, I mean that I've got to get in the Open Firmware to
get a display and then type boot, otherwise the screen stays black and then I
get the "BootX early console", followed by the kernel boot. Is that normal (and
yes, I raised the delay to 200 tenth seconds). Happens on both computers.

2. Is there any way to pass arguments to the kernel using yaboot, like LILO
does. (for example, typing "Linux novideo" would have saved me a re-install).

3. Are the netscape issues raised a couple of months ago gone ? (Netscape
freezing on start-up, etc.)

4. Is audio on the iBook working (I can figure it out myself by trying the
backport, I just wanna know if I'm supposed to succeed) ? Same question for the
iMac DV.

5. This one's for Michel (BTW, thanks for the snapshot, I'll install it in a
couple of minutes, if my boss doesn't disturb me ;P): the TV output ? Do you
have stuff like documentation, code, anything ? I believe the Pismo has an
S-Video output, so you should be able to test it. I can also give a hand,
although except testing, I dunno exactly what I could do...

6. General question: anybody knows an interactive dial-up software ? I need
something that would ask me for my password every time I'm trying to dial-up to
the corporate network. (Some of you working for big companies might know RACOM)

Thanks a bunch,

/Hadess
http://hadess.net

PS: I'll post a copy as well as some other stuff concerning to the configuration
of this beast on my website.

------8<----------
                                Debian/PPC install
                                       on
                                the iBook Firewire

Introduction
------------

Dat is my experience with installing Potato Debian on my iBook DVD, using the
rev0 CDs. This is not a Guide to Debian installation, rather a step-by-step
guide (doh!). And write down what you're doing (especially partition numbers,
that the reason why I'm writing this and reinstalling everything from scratch
for the second time)
Enjoy.

Instructions
------------

1. Boot the laptop with the iBook install, by pressing "C" during the chime
sound
2. Launch the Drive Setup, on the CD, in the Utilities directory
3. I created 2 partitions. First one is the Linux Place Holder, one big fat
partition that we'll split into all your Linux partitions during the Debian
install process. The second one is for MacOS. You might want to create 3
partitions (respectivily for Linux, MacOS, and an HFS one for sharing files
between Linux and MacOS). I'm only using MacOS to play DVDs, so it's no big deal
for me.
4. Install MacOS on the MacOS drive (don't install on the place holder for
Linux!)
5. Reboot the 'puter, it should work, otherwise bring your iBook back to the
shop and jump off a cliff.
6. While under MacOS, stick up the Debian CD, and copy some files on the first
partition (the Linux place holder): in the install:powermac directory, get
yaboot, vmlinux and root.bin
7. Create the yaboot.conf file (SimpleText is good enough for that). Here is the
content:

device=hd:
image=vmlinux
	label=debian
	initrd=root.bin
	initrd-size=8192
	novideo

Note: the novideo is the reason we're not directly booting from the CD.
Otherwise you won't have any display.
8. Reboot the 'puter again, and press Option-Apple-O-F during the chime to
access the Open Firmware.
9. type in "boot hd:,yaboot"
10. Select your keyboard, and Partition your HD, following Ethan Benson's
mac-fdisk-basics.txt (see at the bottom for URL).
11. At this point I have this kind of partitioning:
	hda1 to hda8: MacOS crap
	hda9: Apple_Bootstrap partition
	hda10: / (root)
	hda11: swap
	hda12: /home (home)
	hda13: /opt (opt)
	hda14: MacOS

(...Later...)

12. When asked if you want to "Make Linux Bootable Directly From Hard Disk", get
to another console and get a shell (on the iBook, it's a bit dodgy, keep pressed
in this order Apple-fn-F2).
13. Run this line to get your bootstrap partition initialized:
	mkofboot --boot /dev/hda9 -m /target/etc/ofboot.b --root /dev/hda10
--partition 10
14. In the present state, you wouldn't be able to boot Linux because of the
(lack of) novideo option in the default yaboot.conf
Edit the /target/etc/yaboot.conf. Here is what it looks like after all the
editing:

boot=/dev/hda9
device=hd:
timeout=20
install=/boot/yaboot
magicboot=/boot/ofboot.b

image=/vmlinux
	label=Linux
	root=/dev/hda10
	read-only
	partition=10
	novideo

15. Run that to be able to run Linux:
	ybin -C /target/etc/yaboot.conf -m /target/etc/ofboot.b
16. Reboot the system, and get into the Open Firmware again
17. To boot your linux system, type in:
	boot hd:9,yaboot

(...Later...)

18. Voila, you still need to configure your computer (X-Window, dial-up,
desktop...), but at least it will boot up normally =)
19. to boot up by default with Linux, run "setenv boot-device hd:9,yaboot"
within the Open Firmware. Press the Option key during the chime to boot MacOS.

URLS
----

- Ethan Benson's site, contains mac-fdisk-basics.txt and the yaboot FAQ
	http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/
- Hadess.net, the website for updates (if necessary) of this document
	http://hadess.net/ in the Articles section

Thanks
------

Thanks to Ethan Benson, Michel Danzer, and Daniel Jacobowitz for their technical
help.