Re: iMac DV/iBook Firewire install follow-up

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 03:37:07PM +0200, Hadess wrote:

> Well, if that doesn't screw up my install completely, yes, I'll give it a try.

since 0.26 is not packaged you have to be a bit careful how you deal
with it, if you use the old /usr/sbin/ybin with the new ofboot you
will have problems...  (i need to convince Dan to package the updated
one, i really need more people testing the new OF code...)

it shouldn't even in the unlikely event that the first stage loader
failed you can always enter OF and boot yaboot directly like so:

boot hd:,yaboot

> > one other simple test you could try is adding:
> >
> > install-console
>
> Will try that as well

thanks

> I got to see it entering OF first. But typing "Linux novideo", Linux being the
> name of the option didn't work... at all. Or should I use another syntax.

if you can see yaboot when booting OF manually that tells me that the
terminal is indeed being disabled by mac-boot.  could you try changing
your boot-command to `boot' as well?

nvsetenv boot-command boot

but you MUST have the new powerpc-utils package from proposed-updates
installed for this.

/me checks source, hmm yes novideo appears to be a config file option
that is converted to video=ofonly, so try:

Linux video=ofonly

> Yeah, I know that Netscape is crap, but I have to load it up to move all my
> e-mails to some more conventional mbox style files.
> And on Linux/PPC, AFAIK it at least got to the point where you could show a
> page... So, is *that* solved ? If I can get a Microsoft-esque kind of stability,
> I'd sign.

as far as i know it runs, and works, it just crashes all the time like
every other version of netscape in existence.  if you use it long term
setting resource limits are highly reccommended.

BTW if you want a backup bootstrap and have multple machines around
(as you appear to having an iBook and iMac) you may want to look at
setting up netboot, its a nice fallback, and is not very hard.  see my
page for the netboot mini-howto.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/