Re: Initial Contact

Emile van Bergen <emile-deb@evbergen.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> I see no ground for concluding that Debian is not interested in people's
> help because it takes so long to become a DD. On the contrary, I think
> that Debian is much more interested in people helping to fix bugs than
> in more DDs.

In that case, maybe some high-level statement should be made so that
DDs no longer recommend people who fix rc bugs and maintain packages
go through NM.

> If people feel their contributions are wasted time if they're not a DD,
[...]

I think I must have not written that point out fully enough.  If someone
thinks that the project is about to collapse under its own disorganisation
and feels that no-one is willing to openly address the problems, that
is what discourages them.  People generally don't want to throw their
time into a black hole.

Personally, during my long NM wait, I was told informally by some DDs
that I should be quiet until I got through it.  So, I quietly just kept
feeding help to the packages I was working with for most of that time.
I'm very annoyed that I'm now hearing some people say that NM's stuck
in the queue should be "nosier" by helping out more publicly!

Come on!  Something approaching consistency, please!

MJR