Re: Initial Contact

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 11:37:59AM -0000, MJ Ray wrote:

> Geert Stappers <Geert.Stappers@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > What is "the DD to be" doing now he has shown he has the skills,
> > knowns the procedures and has contacts in Debian (advocate, AM, sponsor )
> > to contribute?
>
> The prospective DD is being thoroughly demotivated by the lack of interest
> that Debian has in their help, generally speaking, I think.

There's probably a distinction between the interest Debian has in their
help and Debian's interest in them becoming DDs.

I see no ground for concluding that Debian is not interested in people's
help because it takes so long to become a DD. On the contrary, I think
that Debian is much more interested in people helping to fix bugs than
in more DDs.

> My Opinion Only.  You can say "don't take it personally," but that's
> probably misunderstanding the applicant's view.  The problem here is that
> it looks to new volunteers like the project is in shambles.  No-one wants
> to waste their volunteered time, so they'll probably wait until it looks
> like things are starting to be a bit more organised.

If people feel their contributions are wasted time if they're not a DD,
then perhaps Debian should also have a simpler recognition process for
people that regularly send patches and bug reports and generally make a
positive contribution, eg. by making a nice sticker available for
download that says 'Officially Recognised Debian Contributor (TM)',
which contributors worring about their wasted efforts can then stick on
their forehead.

Cheers,

Emile.

--