Re: Initial Contact

Geert Stappers <Geert.Stappers@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> What is "the DD to be" doing now he has shown he has the skills,
> knowns the procedures and has contacts in Debian (advocate, AM, sponsor )
> to contribute?

The prospective DD is being thoroughly demotivated by the lack of interest
that Debian has in their help, generally speaking, I think.  It is
particularly depressing when you have been recommended to apply by two
current DDs and then you are treated with extreme suspicion while other
developers (including some with questionable views) are rushed through.

My Opinion Only.  You can say "don't take it personally," but that's
probably misunderstanding the applicant's view.  The problem here is that
it looks to new volunteers like the project is in shambles.  No-one wants
to waste their volunteered time, so they'll probably wait until it looks
like things are starting to be a bit more organised.

So how do we fix this?  Most of us are used to having clear information
available to us, but it seems that the status screen is misleading at
best, missing the evaluation step described in the docs.  Then again,
that step doesn't seem to be happening much?  Does it help or hinder if
this list questions AM reports?

MJR