Re: [MoM] incorporating phyutility into the packages

Hi Stephen

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 01:44:52PM -0400, Stephen Smith wrote:
> In that case, I might like to try some other packages. Might try this
> one (treePL divergence time analysis for phylogenies) published here
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22908216
> but will think about it.

That's perfectly fine.  As a maintainer you are free to package what you
need for your own work since this keeps you the most engaged to maintain
it properly and up to date.  When looking at its dependencies[1] I see
two projects that do not sound familiar.  It seems you need to package
these first, right?

> Also, I see there is a list of packages for
> debian as a whole that need help, but is there one for med? I might see
> if there are orphaned things that would also be interesting.

I have no idea at what page you are looking but I think the best
overview can be obtained from the Maintainer dashboard[2] perhaps by
adding the Debian Med maintainers list as maintainer[3].  There is quite
some work to do left for any interested person. :-)  Any you can try to
scratch your own itch on any of these things - perhaps by announcing
here what you want to do since you as a newcomer might not have the
right feeling who usually touches what,  There is some kind of "natural"
sharing of the tasks.

My most urgent endless issue is the stupid license issue of the aida
part in libcolt-java were I expressed my deep frustration last time
here[4].  The issue could either resolved by convincing the authors to
drop the most boring clause in their license (GPL but not for military
use) or to switch colt to a more recent replacement (which should be the
technically better solution but costs some effort).  In the consequence
we could move beast into main which would bring back my motivation to
work on this package.

[1] https://github.com/blackrim/treePL/tree/master/deps
[2] http://udd.debian.org/dmd/
[3] http://udd.debian.org/dmd/?email1=debian-med-packaging%40lists.alioth.debian.org&email2=&email3=&packages=&ignpackages=#todo