Re: Suspend and Hibernate in Etch not working on Asus L3400Tp laptop

On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 00:31 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> I believe that has no influence on my main problematic case:
> 1- the user hits the power-button because (s)he wants to hibernate the
>    machine.
I agree, unless you remove the switch, there's nothing you can do to
prevent the user from pressing it a few seconds..

> 2- each and every user logged in with Gnome gets to process the request via
>    its own gnome-power-manager, isn't it wonderful?
You're right, but i assume it was the purpose of dbus's system bus :
broadcast to every listner.
Maybe you can remove
/usr/share/gnome/autostart/gnome-power-manager.desktop so only
interested user add g-p-m to it's own session?(i never tried).

> > Of course, if you don't want anybody to hibernate|suspend your computer,
> > you can disable it (see /etc/hibernate/ram.conf and hibernate.conf)
>
> Will it really work?  Is g-p-m really going to use hibernate rather than
> some other method?  Is that documented somewhere?
As you mentioned in a previous main, it is unclear how g-p-m, hibernate
uswsusp[s2ram+s2disk],acpi-tools, dbus, hal interacts.
my understanding is :
- g-p-m is the user front-end (including automatic reaction to events,
  like "battery critical" => hibernate...)
- hibernate-package know what has to be done before and after
  hibernation AND sleep, like  (the package's name is misleading)
- uswsusp knows the tricks to actually susend|hibernate each and every
  single computer types (a machine has to be white-listed to work).
- hal : "hawdware abstraction layer" as it's name implies.. but it also
  seems to duplicate s2ram (less `locate 20-video-quirk-pm-lenovo.fdi`)
- dbus : just communication between components (hal and g-p-m)
- acpisupport does a good job at converting laptop-specific function
  keys into standard keyboard event.
  However, it seems to also overlap hal's hack, hibernate-script's hack
  and uswsusp's hack.

All i know is that a broken /etc/uswsusp.conf prevents hibernation, and
a non-whitelisted computer (T61..) works if i force it in
/etc/hibernate/ususpend-ram.conf (so both are needed).

Franklin