Re: Suspend and Hibernate in Etch not working on Asus L3400Tp laptop

On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 00:35 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > g-p-m is basically a tool for single-user systems, like laptops (usually
> > are).
[..]
> > On multi-user systems you're better off not installing it if possile,
I guess you don't wan't to remove the g-p-m feature, you just want to
manage it. i.e. authorized user can still hibernate the computer,etc. ;)

1. power management authorization are granted through "powerdev" group
membership.

2. you can also use gconf-editor to fine-grain control what user has
_access_ to (In gconf-editor's help Menu, read "Default and Mandatory
Settings" pages).

look the gconf keys in /apps/gnome-power-manager/, like :
 - can_hibernate : If the user is authorized to hibernate the computer.
 - action_button_hibernate : "Hibernate button" action

Of course, if you don't want anybody to hibernate|suspend your computer,
you can disable it (see /etc/hibernate/ram.conf and hibernate.conf)

> I have nothing about my users causing a hibernate or suspend on most of my
> machines (except when hibernate or suspend doesn't work, of course),
> especially if the user has physical access to the machine.

see pam_group (see http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/308
but for group 'powerdev').

Franklin