Suspend and Hibernate in Etch not working on Asus L3400Tp laptop

Hello all,

previously a Fedora User, I found out that VMWare does not support it,
so I switched to Debian and installed the Etch, network install from
business card cdrom.
If I try to suspend, the screen locker comes on, and after I type my
password, it says:
"Suspend Problem
Your computer failed to suspend. Check the PAQ page for common
problems."

Same with trying to hibernate:
"Hibernate Problem
HAL failed to hibernate. Check the FAQ page for common problems."

In Fedora 6 it did both extremely well. What could be the problem /
solution?

Thanks,
Sjaki