Re: im-config | Use im-config on Wayland without uninstalling IBus (!5)

Hello,

2020년 7월 20일 (월) 오전 12:02, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>님이 작성:

> I have big question to Changwoo...
>
> I am still intrigued...  I need your help on your proposal:
>
> +    # In GNOME Wayland, don't use the ibus immodules and stick to the
> +    # gnoms-shell default.
> +    if [ "$IM_CONFIG_SCRIPT" = "ibus" ] && is_gnome && [
> "$XDG_SESSION_TYPE" =
> "wayland" ]; then
> +        case "$IM_CONFIG_LC_CTYPE" in
> +        ko_KR)  # GNOME default has worse issues in Hangul input.
> +            ;;
> +        *)
> +            IM_CONFIG_SCRIPT=none
> +            ;;
> +        esac
> +    fi
>
> Does this mean (under GNOME):
>  * IM_CONFIG_SCRIPT=none --- Normal GNOME
>  * IM_CONFIG_SCRIPT=ibus --- ko_KR  GNOME
>
> (I was thinking you wanted something like the other way around.  Now I
> see why Gunnar was concerned)

To use "none" is not exactly my proposal, but Gunnar's.

(1) It was Gunnar's change to set nothing (practically the same as
"none") for GNOME Wayland in "ibus" choice.
(2) Then I propose to move the GNOME Wayland check from "ibus" to
"auto" and just to use "none' for GNOME Wayland
(3) As there's a critical issue with the GNOME Wayland input in ko_KR,
I added an exception for ko_KR locale.

> Also How should we set ko_KR environment?

Just the current (released) automatic choice "ibus" is the best for
Korean for now.

> XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
> # Let's assume all required modules are installed
> GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
> QT4_IM_MODULE=ibus
> QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
> CLUTTER_IM_MODULE=ibus
>
> Maybe I need to understand how GNOME startup code sets up to avoid
> mutter issue you described.

Using "ibus" avoids the mutter issue.

> At least, I am not facing any problem with
> GNOME/wayland + en_US + ibus + anthy (Japanese IM).  In my system, I
> think I use IM_CONFIG_SCRIPT=ibus and I see no reason to change
> IM_CONFIG_SCRIPT=none.

There's an issue about the on-screen keyboard with GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus.
IIRC it's about entering accented characters by long-press. But it is
not an issue for CJK users, as the current implementation of GNOME
on-screen keyboard is useless for CJK languages anyway.

I also prefer "ibus" and will use it at least for a while. The GNOME
Wayland input is still much slower even though it has been improved
much for two years. I don't type very fast but I often feel like the
GNOME Wayland input lags behind my fingers.

--
Changwoo Ryu