Re: im-config | Use im-config on Wayland without uninstalling IBus (!5)

On 2020-07-12 05:42, Changwoo Ryu wrote:
Let's not repeat that again.

I summarized and clarified my arguments in response to Osamu's question.

"The UI" is actually the Ubuntu settings UI which is only in Ubuntu
and not in Debian.

It's both of course. Even if the confusion your proposal may lead to is of greater importance in Ubuntu for a couple of reasons, my arguments apply to Debian as well.

We are not working on im-config for compatibility with a derived
distro's settings UI.

I thought Debian and Ubuntu cooperated. Maybe a misconception on my part.

Let me point out that im-config offers an API with the explicit purpose to allow im-config to be controlled from other programs. Ubuntu does nothing but making use of that API.

Whatever breakage the Ubuntu UI would have, it can be handled by
updating the Ubuntu UI or making an Ubuntu version of im-config.

Let's not jump the gun.

We are talking about the Debian version of im-config and we should
talk in the context of Debian, not Ubuntu.

Not sure what you want to say with that. Yes, this discussion is about the design of im-config in the Debian archive. But Ubuntu uses the thing as well. Are you saying that Debian development should not take into account how downstream is affected? If you are, it's a bit remarkable IMHO.

And there seems to be no new argument why this GNOME/Wayland
conditional should be in the "ibus" choice.

Right. The previous arguments still stand.

And I gave enough reasons why some users do not want this GNOME
Wayland input default and why the choice should be kept.

A choice that does not exist can't "be kept".

As far as I understand, the only Korean specific issue you mentioned is the ibus-hangul/mutter bug which is about to be fixed. Given that, how is the Korean special case configuration still motivated?

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj