Re: im-config | Use im-config on Wayland without uninstalling IBus (!5)

Hi,

On Tue, 2020-07-14 at 16:36 +0900, Changwoo Ryu wrote:
> 2020년 7월 14일 (화) 오후 1:34, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>님이 작성:
> > Changwoo:
> > As for stable update, have you consider to use
> > IM_CONFIG_PREFERRED_RULE
> > in /etc/default/im-config.  Maybe, this is less aggressive than
> > changing "auto" behavior.  I can't locate your previous massage
> > explaining with patch.  Can you tell me your last patch proposal
> > again.
>
> Yes, it seems to be better. But /etc/default/im-config needs to be
> improved first. In devel branch, IM_CONFIG_PREFERRED_RULE works only
> in non-GNOME environments.

Considering GNOME always seems to set ibus related set-ups and start
daemon, the devel branch code now only checks GNOME (Not wayland) and
have and use $IM_CONFIG_PREFERRED_RULE_G instead in GNOME environments
instead.

I hope this is acceptable by everyone.  (I see you closing your merge
request.)

One of the nasty thing about CONFFILE like /etc/default/im-config is
upgrade/downgrade handling abd robustness.  Since Debian system tends
to be upgraded, we need to be very careful.  I hope my approach is
safer for that.  (Yes, I am still parsing by sourcing as bash. Bad ...)

> For stable update, I think a better and simpler solution is just
> removing conditional code in "ibus" and stick to ibus IM modules as
> default in Wayland. In stable, GNOME version is 3.30 and its Wayland
> input has critical problems regardless of users' languages.

In retrospect, conditional code in "ibus" was probably my bad judgment.
(No testing for KDE etc.)  Let me think this issue later ...

I have big question to Changwoo...

I am still intrigued...  I need your help on your proposal:

+    # In GNOME Wayland, don't use the ibus immodules and stick to the
+    # gnoms-shell default.
+    if [ "$IM_CONFIG_SCRIPT" = "ibus" ] && is_gnome && [
"$XDG_SESSION_TYPE" =
"wayland" ]; then
+        case "$IM_CONFIG_LC_CTYPE" in
+        ko_KR)  # GNOME default has worse issues in Hangul input.
+            ;;
+        *)
+            IM_CONFIG_SCRIPT=none
+            ;;
+        esac
+    fi

Does this mean (under GNOME):
 * IM_CONFIG_SCRIPT=none --- Normal GNOME
 * IM_CONFIG_SCRIPT=ibus --- ko_KR  GNOME

(I was thinking you wanted something like the other way around.  Now I
see why Gunnar was concerned)

Also How should we set ko_KR environment?

XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
# Let's assume all required modules are installed
GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
QT4_IM_MODULE=ibus
QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
CLUTTER_IM_MODULE=ibus

Maybe I need to understand how GNOME startup code sets up to avoid
mutter issue you described.  At least, I am not facing any problem with
GNOME/wayland + en_US + ibus + anthy (Japanese IM).  In my system, I
think I use IM_CONFIG_SCRIPT=ibus and I see no reason to change
IM_CONFIG_SCRIPT=none.

I think I need to do quire a bit of catch up to understand issues you
are talking.

Osamu