Re: do not delete gnome-1

Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt <he@debian.org> writes:

> Removing the old Gnome 1 libs and core applications from Debian is a
> long-term goal, as there's no upstream support, which means that we need
> to cope with security issues on our own and user requests will probably
> lead to nothing. It's not in Debian's interest to keep those
> packages.

The message posted here and referenced on debian-devel said something
different: that gnome 1 *would* be removed, period, before etch
release.  I hope that this is possible, but it isn't just a matter of
the gnome team declaring gnome 1 obsolete.

> The problem of 3rd party applications that haven't transitioned, but are
> still actively developed and used, needs to be solved by porting them to
> the newer Gtk+ and Gnome as fast as possible. If these blockers are
> solved, the old libs can be removed and all developers are happy again.

Indeed.  And the gnucash upstream is spending all their energy on
exactly this task.

Thomas