Re: do not delete gnome-1

        Hi,

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> This is inappropriate.  There are still gnome-1 programs in Debian.
> The upstream developers are converting to gnome-2 as soon as they can,
> but they aren't ready yet.

 And what if they never do the switch?  We can't keep GNOME 1 forever.

> Orphan packages that you don't want to maintain, and I'm happy to
> maintain what actually needs a non-orphaned maintainer.

 Not only will you be Maintainer, but also upstream.  It's hard to
 measure how big and how many packages there are.

> Do not delete packages only because you think nobody should use them;
> delete packages when no packages *do* use them.  gnucash, for example,
> is an important Debian package used by many people.

 While it is generous for our users to offer your time to maintain old
 software, I'm not sure you're really doing them a favor with respect to
 bug fixes, and I'm not sure keeping so many old packages won't pressure
 the release team and the security team: in the end, it also hurts
 non-GNOME 1 users.

   Bye,
--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>