Re: do not delete gnome-1

Loïc Minier <lool+debian@via.ecp.fr> writes:

>  As I said a bit later in my message "If 10000 packages made the switch
>  from GNOME 1 to GNOME 2 _except_ gnucash, then to the hell with it.".
>  There has to be a limit.  The transition is not eternal.  If you want
>  to convince me that Gnucash will really be transitionned, why don't you
>  give some facts?

I did; they are making rapid progress.

You don't get to boot packages out of Debian.  No matter how useless
you think something is, you don't get to declare it out-of-Debian.

That's not the way Debian works.

>  Please don't speak for the QA group as a whole.

I'm speaking for *ME*, about what work *I'm* willing to do.

>  Unless you noticed, we're only discussing right now.  As it starts,
>  you're not encouraging anything going in your direction, or giving you
>  more control over GNOME 1's fate.

I already have all the control I need; I'll simply take over
maintenance of the packages as necessary.  If you start filing remove
requests on libraries that I need, I'll simply upload new versions
myself and cancel the remove requests.  But that's an annoying way to
work.

Rather, let's use the normal procedure: if you don't want to maintain
a package, declare the fact, file a wnpp bug, and let those of us who
are willing to maintain it do so.

>  I did not ask for any kind of strategy.  I asked for data, facts,
>  statistics, reality.  Do you have any real life information on the need
>  for Gnucash (I'm using it by the way, count me in)?  Do you have any
>  list of packages which are affected directly or indirectly by the
>  current discussion?  No, you don't care, what you care about is that no
>  package that gnucash depends on ever leaves Debian, and you're ready to
>  *promess* work for GNOME 1, but not to do any actual work.

Actually, I currently maintain four packages on this basis (gal0.x,
gtkhtml, gwrapguile, and libcapplet).

>  I've sincerely tried giving you the opportunity to list factual data in
>  favor of GNOME 1's maintenance in Debian (for example after an
>  orphaning), but you're not playing the game.  You did not clarify any
>  of the points I raised.  You're only complaining.

I don't need to.  I am a Debian developer; I can upload packages that
I'm willing to maintain without needing to prove to you that they are
useful.  All I'm asking is for you not to go out of your way to make
it difficult.

Thomas