Re: -1 (Re: Making Debian available)

On 23/01/2021 20:42, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 03:39:21PM +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:
But the sentiment above and in other similar messages were that the
completely free images are broken for many users that might need some
non-free firmware. This is simply not true.
The completely free images are broken for most users that want working
WiFi, unless you count providing firmware separately as "working". I don't
think this is something that can be argued against. This is especially bad
for netinst images.

Again, I'm not saying that there shouldn't be images that contain
non-free firmware, but dismissing the images that don't have firmware on
as useless is harmful and misleading.
Sure, there is some use for them, mostly VMs and some of the
Ethernet-connected machines.

During install, the installer asks if you have a disk with drivers on for this closed hardware, I don't know what it wants at this point.

If we could insert a 2nd usb disk, or anything with the correct drivers on, it may help.

Paul
--
Paul Sutton
https://personaljournal.ca/paulsutton/

Mini Debian Gaming Conference - 19-22 November 2020
https://mdco2.mini.debconf.org/