Re: Making Debian available

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 02:32:42PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> I'll join the less-vocal crowd in disagreeing that the fully free
> image is especially defective (any more so than other software), and
> I feel like painting it that way does harm to your argument. Yes
> things could be better, on all fronts, but calling the hard work of
> the community and installer team "defective" because it doesn't
> cater to the specific set of users or devices you think it should
Surely this depends on the relative size of this "specific set".

> isn't a great way to encourage continued participation in those
> efforts.
Yes, it's very important to often reconsider how useful is your work,
especially when it's volunteer one.

> I suppose I'm one of those lucky/nonexistent souls who carefully
> researches devices before purchase,
As is often mentioned, researching is not very helpful when you want WiFi.
And people who are fine with severely crippling their computers for FSF
reasons should probably be some non-default niche with separate
considerations (or just use FSF-blessed distros, which don't and likely
won't include Debian anyway).

--
WBR, wRAR